Pages

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Going to the Movies!

So, last night my daughter, brother, and one of my best friends went and saw the new Alice in Wonderland. I must admit, I was dubious because I am not a fan of Tim Burton (I don't like dark, scary movies) and I was never much of a fan of Alice in Wonderland, because it never made any sense to me. I was really not sure what to expect, as one of my friends told me most of it was depressing and pretty dark, and there were very few good moments in the movie, but aside from that harrowing review we decided to go see it anyway.

I enjoyed it immensely. Some people were displeased with it because this is actually Alice's second time through Wonderland, and so it doesn't quite stick with the original Disney version, but I thought that this added to the story greatly. I found the characters inventive, original and likable (even the Red Queen had her moments) and because it didn't go along with the first one it was not predictable. I loved the Hatter, Johnny Depp did a comical and yet tragic performance. Anne Hathaway as the White Queen was elegant, yet unexpected and Helen Bonham Carter was particularly gruesome and hilarious. Alice was also very well acted, even though I had never seen the actress before. I didn't find it depressing at all, I thought it was actually inspiring. If you like colorful, inventive and witty I think you would enjoy this. It wasn't a dark Tim Burton movie. It just had his creative costuming.

No comments:

Post a Comment