Pages

Saturday, February 28, 2015

And I Thought Being A Teenager Was Hard...

It's not everyday that you get to sit down and watch multiple episodes of "Parenthood".  No, I'm not a spokesman for the show or getting paid, I'm just your typical addict.  I started watching this show during my breastfeeding moments (for those who don't fully understand this it's that time that you get to feed and comfort your baby, staring down into it's little face thinking "you are the most beautiful creature in the world and I want to remember this moment forever) unfortunately you can only examine it's tiny, exquisite features so long before you realize it has cradle cap and ear wax and some other uncertain food-like substance on it's face and to keep yourself from picking and cleaning and preening (ultimately waking your sleeping babe) you turn on your tv and try to watch something for a moment.  I originally attempted to read during this quiet time but both of my babies think that their wildly failing arm should grab onto whatever I am doing and sabotage that chapter of Outlander I've been trying to read for a month or that app helping me learn German.  Anyway, TV is an easy out.

So, back to Parenthood. I really love it.  The show is amazing with these characters who say and do things I would personally say and do.  I adore shows like that.  Too often I'm telling my husband "this is ridiculous, who says things like that?  This is stupid, that would never happen!"  Parenthood instead throws people into very typical events and they have typical reactions, in my mind.

Unfortunately, it almost seems too  real.  I find myself getting emotionally involved, feeling frustrated when the mom is yelling at her daughter, completely at a loss as what to do.  I wouldn't do that...would I?  I'm a normal, non-crazy communicative individual, but I realize watching this show how much I have changed since being a teenager.  Evolved I should really say.  More and more (especially now that I turned 30) I see myself taking the side of the adult in situations, where I used to see it from the teenager's perspective, and it's soooo much scarier.  It used to be all about me, my hurt, my pain, my problems but now everything that happens affects my husband and my children and my parents.  I'm not just a single entity anymore, and it's honestly terrifying. 

I know most blogs should end with a neatly organized review of some deeper message, and if I was going to have one it's this: give your parents a break.  Being a kid was a lot easier than taking care of kids.  

No comments:

Post a Comment